Virtuallori.com is my little space on the web. It’s a quirky combination of journal and weblog and gallery and a way to keep in touch with far-flung friends. I never was very good at fitting neatly into established categories. I actually like it better this way.
Some random facts about me:
1. I’ve had a web presence in one form or another since 1994. Virtuallori.com has been around since 1996. If the switch from Blogger to WordPress had been smooth, you’d have been able to read the last six years’ worth of virtuallori archives here, but that was not meant to be. I’m actually not convinced that it’s a bad thing. In some mythical future I may find time to post some favorites, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
2. I’m really enjoying life in my early 40s, more so than I thought was possible. I just have to touch up my roots more often.
3. I married the love of my life in June 2007. He’s funny and cool and silly.
4. Hawaii was my home for nearly six years. Occasionally I miss it, but it’s not where I’m meant to be for good.
5. My seven-week, 4500-mile solo drive across the country in 2002 remains one of the coolest things I’ve ever done.
6. I have recurring nightmares about elevators — not the same dream over and over, but a constant parade of elevators behaving badly.
7. My almost daily amusement is watching the house hunters on various HGTV shows rule out houses over easily and inexpensively changed things (wallpaper, paint, light fixtures) or gush over decorations that won’t stay (ugly window treatments, furniture), but ignore obvious flaws. People really can be dumb.
8. I have six library cards.
9. For a number of years, I read about one book a week. I slacked off during the two years I had a staff job, but now that I’m back to freelancing full time and have (a) reclaimed that commuting time and (b) stopped falling into bed completely exhausted each night, I’m on a pace of about two a week.
10. Art and creating keeps me sane.
My Official Artist Bio
Lori Paximadis was struck by the creative bug early, eschewing dinner one night as a three-year-old to complete a stick-figure self-portrait (or so her mother wrote in her baby book). Over the years, she has explored a variety of media and spent many years of quality time with photography, ceramics, beads, and metalworking. She has attended a variety of workshops and classes led by some really brilliant and fun people who continue to inspire her. When she’s not working in her studio, doing volunteer work for Cleveland Handmade, or feeding her left-brained side (and her wallet) by editing and project managing other people’s books, she enjoys gardening, home improvement projects, spending time with her husband and family, or just chilling out with a great book. Her work is available at Etsy.com (seller name: alchemary) and a number of shops and galleries in Ohio. She also appears at several art shows each year; visit www.virtuallori.com for a calendar of upcoming shows and workshops.